JBL CD Text?

I have two 03 yota vehicles with the JBL stereos (one with the single and other 6 CD in dash changer). Both supposedly will display text encoded on the CD (assume the artist and title). I've yet to insert a CD that activates this feature and display text. Even the Sony prerecoded CDs were tried. Has anyone observed it working and with what recording house CDs??

Reply to
Wolfgang

Most retail CD's do not have CD Text. I don't think it caught on. But if you burn an audio CD on your computer, and check to burn the CD Text during a Disc-at-once recording session (Easy CD Creator), the text will be included and will read on a CD Text capable player.

Hoe this helps.

Reply to
Brad P

For that to work your CD mastering software has to access an online database such as CDDB. Or you have to manually type the details yourself.

Reply to
David Kelly

Interesting...where did you read the Toyota JBL stereos are CD Text capable?

I burn many CD's w/text, and as you mention the latest Sony releases already have CD Text encoded. I have never seen CD Text displayed on my 2003 Camry single JBL CD display either.

Amaz>I have two 03 yota vehicles with the JBL stereos (one with the single and

Reply to
Rick

I believe there is a small logo printed on the front of the Toyota radio that states "CD Text"

Reply to
Masterson

The button on the radio that says TEXT (next to SCAN) -- and the owner's manual. Oh, and burning a CD with text isn't the solution as you correctly stated. The manual (p174 for 03 4Rnr) says "The button is used to change the display for the CD that contains text data. To change display, quickly push and release button while CD is playing. Changes fron elapse time to disc title to track title and back to elapse. All I ever get (on 03 Camry 6 CD model too) is NO TITLE. Maybe I'll just tell service manager that both radios are defective --- and ask him to demonstrate! OEM SubWoofer seems to be another questionable part -- shouldn't I feel bass with hand on it? Manybe if enough owners complain they will replace radio with one where features actually work? Now that Charlene Blake fixed the yota sludge problem maybe she'll tackle this one?

Ha looked at Nissan Murano -- and it has Satellite radio button - but to get it to work you have to buy an expensive Infiniti part that isn't covered under warranty on the Nissan. Smacks of false advertizing on both accounts to me - especially when I can get aftermarket radio with satellite built in, MP3 capable and decent quality speakers for 1/3 the OEM cost..

Reply to
Wolfgang

HAHAHA....too funny Wolfgang......

1/3 the cost........ Not installed. Have you looked at your dash?

We do the installs for the local Infiniti/Nissan dealer up the road. We charge $90 labor, on top of the $350 the dealer charges for the OE Clarion equipment. $440 installed for all factory equipment is cheap.

As compared to.......lets say an Alpine. Example would be a CDA-9805 for $180, XM tuner box would be a TUA-T020XM(out of stock for months) is $250. Sat Ant is $30. So the equipment is $460. UN-INSTALLED! Now lets talk the install, almost cant be done, any good shop that would even try it would be hours of custom labor. Plus the little details..... Like the BOSE intergration would be crap, the steering wheel controls are lost (not sure it has them). So total cost would be near $700 Loss of that nice indash cassette and/or 6 dics changer?

Another example would be an FM Mod install Here the price is better, but the sound quality disappears. Delphi XM is $150, car kit is $80, Dash mounting is $40, Parts/Labor would be around $100. So here you pay $370, a savings of $70, in exchange for crap sound quality, a big boxy thing mounted to the dash, and no OE intergration at all. Hardly worth the savings.

Just thought I would point out that the OEM equipment is a good choice. And at a decent cost. The aftermarket choices are not 1/3 the cost.

Reply to
Masterson

Yeah - I agree on time req'd for a quality install -- I've seen some of the "free" big store stereo and alarm installs. Hit a bump and power blips out or speakers cut in and out. Never heard of soldering or shrink tubing --- wrap-um and tape-um is good enough. I have gotten some equipemnt from Crutchfield and they supply great model specific instructions and required spacers/pigtails which enable motivated owner to do a quality job.

Ha - I did add an RF CD changer to my 03 4Rnr -- agree - was a royal pain. Some of the dash clips are one-time use only (or they go zing!) so had to order one from dealer to keep dash from rattling.

Reply to
Wolfgang