Tundra seat belt return springs

Although Tundras seem to be good trucks (I own one), they have some faults. One is the seat belt return spring. Apparently factory installed springs are weak and fail or are aggravatingly slow after a year. Any suggestions on a better replacement?

Reply to
jnader

*ALL* Toyota seatbelts are known for their poor return after a few years. If the springs were tighter the belt would be uncomfortable and moving around the cab, e.g. leaning forward to tune the radio or etc. would become annoying.

I've seen several solutions to the problem ranging from cleaning the belt with Simple Green and blowing any crud out with compressed air, to relieving the edges of the slot to compensate for worn "fuzzy" belt edges, to disassembling the belt unit and drilling a lube hole in the barrel of the return spool (not something I'd do, BTW - I woudn't want to risk damage to the locking portion of the mechanism).

You may be able to have them replaced if still under warranty. Or you may just decide that it's an otherwise good truck with a slightly aggravating flaw that's not worth fixing - that's what I did.

-- Mike Harris

1995 Tacoma 2WD 2.4L 1987 Corolla 1963 Willys Wagon SBC conversion Austin TX
Reply to
Mike Harris

It's been my experience that anything related to seat belts usually qualifies for an instant free replacement by the dealer. I had an ancient Nissan 240 SX - I was like the third owner - and there was a problem with a seatbelt assy and it was fixed no charge.

Reply to
Watts D. Matter

I have a 2000 Tundra (30,000 miles)with same problem, was wondering if there was an adjustment..?

Reply to
AndThenSome

I also have a 2000 Tundra and had the same problem. The dealer replaced them but it didn't make much of a difference. He told me that there is no way to adjust them but keeping the belt clean and blowing out the buckle every once in a while might help. It didn't.

Reply to
Skip

I had same problem on the passenger side seat belt. Infact now the seat belt doesn't work at all.

Any suggestions?

saqib http://www.full-disk-encrypti> Although Tundras seem to be good trucks (I own one), they have some

Reply to
docbook.xml