Turning off traction control - Two different Highlanders

I have a 2004 and 2009 Toyota Highlander and live in farmland. We often have snow covered fields where some portions are grassy and others are 12" or more of snow. During warmer times, we have mud. Lots of it.

Any normal 4WD or even some 2WD vehicles have no problem going across the drifts as their engine continues sending power to the wheels. However, both Highlanders shut down all power to the wheels if I approach the necessary speed and make a go of it. This causes the vehicle to essentially coast to a stop in the middle of the drift and I look like a fool needing to be pulled out by neighbors.

Is there any way to turn off the VSC and/or traction control on either of these vehicles so I can go and fetch my small utility trailer from the barn without asking a neighbor to do it for me?

I have brand new, aggressive tires and a desire to use my vehicles as I need them... But I haven't found a solution for this yet.

Thank you for any help you can offer...

Model: Highlander

Year: 2004 & 2009

What have I tried so far?: A few different ideas ranging from riding with the brake slightly depressed to fool the system into thinking I'm on the brake. Pulling the fuse for the traction control set-up causes it to drop into "limp home mode" I've heard so I've not yet tried that. Then there was a sequence described to me as follows which DID NOT work, but was entertaining to read and try last night:

1) Turn the Key from Off to ON/RUN (without starting the car)

You now have exactly 1 minute to execute the following (lots of time):

NOTE: Hold your brake peddle down throughout this procedure

(this allows you to shift from P to N)

2) Fully press the Accelerator Peddle TWICE (2 times) in P(ark)

3) Fully press the Accelerator Peddle TWICE (2 times) in N(neutral)

4) Fully press the Accelerator Peddle TWICE (2 times) in P(ark)

5) With the brake peddle still pressed, Start the car.

Your car will now display that you are in FWD Maintenance Mode and your TRAC / VSC will be disabled until the next time you start the car.

Reply to
Joe "Dufu"

I'm having this same problem but it seems nobody has solved it after 4 years :/

Reply to
seanwyu

It worked now when I restart the car the trac/vsc is still off and can? ??t get it back on got any thoughts I know this post was made years ago but figured this would be the best place to ask.

Reply to
erikranneklev

I have pulled fuses from under the hood for both the traction control and V SC, you have to pull two of them to make it work. This also disables your a bs, I've only done it temporarily, for normal driving I keep the fuses in, I have had no negative or ill effects from this procedure, I have full cont rol over throttle and braking with no intervention whatsoever.

I have a 2004 Toyota Highlander, on page 402 of my owner's manual there is a fuse diagram for the under hood fuse box, fuse is number 50 and 51 contro l the ABS and stability control, you have to remove both in order to disabl e the system completely. When is a 30 amp and one is a 50 amp so make sure you get them marked and back in the right place if you plan to replace them .

Reply to
briansnow2001

On Friday, February 16, 2018 at 9:46:58 AM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote :

VSC, you have to pull two of them to make it work. This also disables your abs, I've only done it temporarily, for normal driving I keep the fuses in , I have had no negative or ill effects from this procedure, I have full co ntrol over throttle and braking with no intervention whatsoever.

s a fuse diagram for the under hood fuse box, fuse is number 50 and 51 cont rol the ABS and stability control, you have to remove both in order to disa ble the system completely. When is a 30 amp and one is a 50 amp so make sur e you get them marked and back in the right place if you plan to replace th em.

nerd

Reply to
Shinnokxz

There are no vsc fuses on my 07 highlander any idea what to pull?

Reply to
brenthagy7

Seems that pulling the ABS 1 and 2 fuses disables traction control. I have yet to try it out.

Reply to
rmcmonigle17