wheel bearing repack

what size socket and torque when I repack the wheel bearings?

Is torque important or can I guess-a-feel?

Paul Mars

Paul,

I don't recall the socket size, but the way I always adjust front wheel bearings is to tighten them while spinning the wheel until I start to get resistance, to "seat" the bearing. Then back off until it turns freely, usually about 60 degrees, then move the nut to the nearest castellation to allow the retaining cotter pin to shoot home.

Done right, there should be no resistance and no detectable endplay.

4WD is slightly more complex but haven't done this with a Toyota - just an old Willys truck.

-- Mike Harris Austin, TX

1995 Tacoma 2WD
Reply to
Mike Harris

ref: move the nut to the nearest castellation

Which direction? Closest either way or tighten?

Reply to
Paul Mars

Generally looser unless it's very close. The castellations are close enough that it makes little difference. As long as there's no tightness when turning the wheel, and no discernable end play, they're OK.

BTW, if you do get it too loose, start again from the top - reseat the bearing while spinning the wheel etc. It's not unusual for me to take two or three tries before they're adjusted to my satisfaction.

-- Mike Harris Austin, TX

Reply to
Mike Harris

thanks