When is a PickUp Coil Really Bad?

I checked the resistance on the pick-up coil of my distributor (88 4Runner

3VZ-E) and it was slightly out of tolerance. The manual says the resistance should be between 140-180 ohms - otherwise, replace the distributor. Mine reads 181 ohms.

Do I really need to replace the distributor?

Luther

Reply to
Luther

181 should be OK. You also have the resistance of your meter leads which add an ohm or so.

RG

Reply to
RG

Luther, leave it be. At 181 ohnms, its nto bad. If you rechecked it on a cooler day, it would be less. ALso, the probes and pin connections could do it. Basically, if it was open or shorted to ground, it woul dbe bad. It would work if it was 250 ohms, or 100 ohms. And also, this would show up as a trouble code in the encine ECU if it wants working.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Thanks. I wasn't going to replace it unless someone explained to me that it was a real problem and why.

I'll slap a new o-ring on it and let it keep on doing it's thing (once I finish replacing my head gaskets).

Luther

Reply to
Luther