Wrist pin

Okay, thanks for everyone's help with the previous problems. The one major lesson learned? Check and make sure you put the 15A "Engine" Fuse back into it's slot before trying to start the engine. Who would've thought that the engine will start and even run without that fuse, but will mysteriously die after about 2 mins? Well, it does. Go figure. New problem/concern. The tick that I thought was the timing chain--wasn't. I had a mechanic listen to it and he gave his opinion that it's a bad/loose wrist pin on one of the pistons. The ticking noise isn't always there, but once in a while it will come and stay for a while, then sometimes I can drive all day and not hear it at all. Mechanic told me he'd seen them run with that noise for 100k+ miles, and my cousin (mechanic also) told me to fix that I would have to replace a whole piston, meaning taking out the engine and removing the head to get to the piston anyway. Their suggestion: look for a new motor. My questions: What are my options? Is there any way to be sure it's a wrist pin? How safe is it to drive on with that wrist pin like it is? My cousin said it'd be just as expensive to fix it after the pin (theoretically) broke than it would be to fix it now, is he just trying to be nice? If I'm looking for a new engine, should I just go for something bigger/better, or is it too pricey to consider? (I'm a college student, unmarried (yet), it's an 83 22R)?

Thanks for all your help!

Spencer f-o-w-i-e-a-t-h-o-t-m-a-i-l-d-o-t-c-o-m

Reply to
Spencer Fowers

Dude, all this for an '83?

Find yerself a newer truck, unless you've sunk a bunh of money into lift kits/off rad accessories, etc. How many miles? How rusty?

In your case, I would just run it until it explodes (it won't really...) and then look for a newer truck. I just sold a '98 w 41,000 on it for $8600. They are rare, but they are out there. (This was a salvage title, BTW and sold it to a friend...he loves it...)

Reply to
HachiRoku