No back up lights

My backup lights don't work on my 1996 rav 4. I replaced the bulbs. They still don't work. Could it be a bad backup light switch? It is a 5 speed with 167,000 trouble free miles. Thanks

Reply to
Vinnie L

Its usually easy to check the backup switch in the tranny. They usually make a connection to ground when you shift into reverse. Use a test light or ohm meter to test it.

Reply to
Roger Brown

Its usually easy to check the backup switch in the tranny. They usually make a connection to ground when you shift into reverse. Use a test light or ohm meter to test it.

Reply to
Roger Brown

At the tranny there will be two connectors. Make sure they are both connected.

My experience with different vehicles is that you've run over a branch or something in the road and dislodged the connector.

Reply to
HachiRoku