timing jumping around?

Hey folks! long time no see.....lol

got a little issue with my 71 vert with a 1600 stock motor. trying to time the 009 at 28-32 degrees but it is jumping around some...don't remember it doing that before...is this some what normal? it seems to vary 3-4 degrees and doesnt hold a good point of reference?

should i be worried?..TIA

Reply to
samjr

replace distributor cap, rotor, and points make sure points are set correctly,

Reply to
aiiadict

Why? None of these will have any effect on spark timing stability.

He should check the mech advance mechanism to make sure it is free and smooth. He should make sure the dist cam is lubricated, lightly. He should check for radial play in the distributor shaft.

-

Jim Adney

points: I've seen the plastic runner break, and intermittently flap back and forth, drastically changing the timing.

cap and rotor: corrosion and arcing will prevent spark from flowing to the plugs at the correct time.

Reply to
aiiadict

The most common cause of such 'hunting' is an accumulation or 'stack-up' of wear.

Starting with the crankshaft's end-play, audit the distributor's gear train for wear. Be sure that the coaxial compression spring is installed in the distributor's pinion-gear, and to check the distributor itself.

The usual culprits are excessive end-float at the crankshaft, excessive lash at the bronze scroll-gear, excessive end-play of the distributor's pinion gear, and excessive axial play at the distributor itself, usually due to having the micarta oil seals wear out.

The proper repair is to replace the worn components but I'm afraid the usual repair is to hope it will heal itself :-)

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
veeduber

Thanks! It seems to run fine but seems to run a little warm so i was going to check the timing. Any issues with running like this?

Reply to
samjr

The force on that would be in only one direction. Don't see why this would ever flop "forth." Besides, a broken rubbing block would most likely just never fire at all; the dwell would be 100%.

Corrosion won't have any significant effect on the HV connections as long as the metal hasn't been eaten back significantly, and it won't effect the timing enough to see with a timing light.

-

Jim Adney

Are you talking about the fiber washers that are on the top and bottom of the shaft? I never thought of them as oil seals.

If so, what's micarta? I thought those washers were linen phenolic. Or is that the same thing?

-

Jim Adney

Same thing -- Micarta is a brand name. Bakelite, Dilecto, Celeron, Arboron . . . all brand names.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot