1500 to 1600: What Tin to get?

I busted a connecting rod on my '67 bug this week. Instead of rebuilding, I'm swapping it out for a 1600 dual port.

What I'm not sure of is, what tin is interchangeable?

I'm assuming that the cylinder shrouds and fan shroud need to be replaced? Can I use the rest of the 1500 tin, or are other pieces needed to keep the new 1600 running nice and cool?

thanks,

--griff

Reply to
griff

Most of the tin will be for the dual port 1600 including the fan housing. Only pieces might be the rear tin & the lower tin assuming the heads are still on! ;-)

IMPORTANT: You also might want to make sure more air is available to cool the engine by louvering the rear engine lid or installing brackets to keep it open.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Thanks for the reply Dave.

I've ordered a complete set of VW OE tin. Its from Mexico but I hear good reports about it having proper thickness and good fit as well. We'll see. I'll use what I need and return the rest.

As far as louvers, the '67 I'm driving is a convertible so there are vents in that hood which should help some. I hoping using the larger oil cooler, a new 35mm fan all on a stock 1600 with proper tin will keep everything supa-cool.

cheers,

--griff

Reply to
griff

Geez my first convertible was also a '67. Memories of a rare odd Beetle,

12V, last of 5 bolt wheels, 66 door handles, 67only doors and transmission, etc! lol

So the oil cooler and the fan are larger than a stock 1600 dual port? I would think about more louvers if you don't mind the look change. Or at least try to monitor the engine temp.

good luck, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Heaven help me if I every need a deck lid or front lid or apron.

Some mechanic I talked to seemed to think the SP1500 was narrower than the 1600DP. They look the same to me. I ordered the 35mm fan and the new shroud just in case because I hate halting the install to go round up more parts. Hopefully I can just put the shroud and fan in the "parts for return" box.

cheers,

--griff

Reply to
griff

No those can be found or modified to fit............it is the DOORS that are hard to find!

The fan housings will be different and so will the fans themselves. You could probably use the 1500 housing and fan along with the smaller oil cooler but I would not recommend it!

You will see when you get the parts in! ;-) good luck!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1