what's ur running oil temp?

how hot is too hot?

when I bought my 66 bug vert I had a used 1600 dp single relief engine put in and i noticed it was running really really hot, after the car warmed up my oil light would come on but go off once I pressed the gas pedeal a little

so I installed oil pressure and temp guages to monitor, freeway driving and around town I watched my oil temp creep up to 260 degrees.... the engine wasn't pinging, smoking, or loosing power, but i knew i had a problem somewhere, fyi i was using straight 40 weight oil

so i researched a little and found that verts usally run warmer than sedans. but this much warmer??? i didn't think so, so here's what I did instead of rebuilding my engine

I added a supercool pulley and a superbee welded fan along with changing my oil since it was burned with straight 50 weight racing oil.... my temp now, never get above 220 degrees and by addding the 50 weight oil my oil pressure light doesn't come on anymore, but it runs @ 220 all the time around town, freeway, top down/up no diffrence.....

My oil pump was new before i added the pulley and fan, and that didn't help with the cooling... neither did playing with the timing, and properly adjusting my valves, my carb is also a new progressive so i didn't think thats my problem

so my question is, how hot is too hot? and how long will my oil last before it burns again?

in the long run, i'm gonna have a new engine built with a dual relief case, so i'm not too worried about this block or what's in it, i just need it to last me a year or so (and it's not my daily driver)

TIA

Reply to
Skipnkuf