1641 jets - W.H.Y.?

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone is running a 1641 beetle with standard 34 pict 3 carb? If so, what carb jets are you running? My bug seems to be running hot when crusing at 65MPH, you can smell the engine when I park up! I might add that 1641 is what I inherited not my own work! I'm wondering about fitting an external oil cooler...

--Steve

Reply to
Tunafish

...my main is drilled up one step....I am having a brain fade and cannot remember what is stock right now...130??? if so mine is drilled to 135....if it is 135r stock mine is drilled to 140....

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Yeah, I was going to try one step up, Solex carbs seem to run lean higher up the rev range.

-Steve

Reply to
Tunafish

An external cooler is only a band aid, and will HIDE the problem from you. It would still BE there. The trick is to not allow the engine to overheat to begin with. MOST of the street engines out there, that ARE running an external cooler, don't really need one. Or wouldn't need one, if they were built right. But, the owner installs one because "everyone else does too". It's so nice to sit down at a club meeting or VE show and compare your cooler sizes with the big boys. "Is that the one I saw advertized in the nnnn magazine last month? " "Oh YEA Baby, that's the one"

-instant street cred

:)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I hadn't really thought of an oil cooler as like a fashion accessory! I'll go for a bigger main jet and see what effect it has first. If that doesn't work I'll rebuild as stock 1600 which is my personal preference really. I'm not into making beetles go fast by having bigger engines, I'd sooner buy a car designed for speed in the first place.

--Steve

Reply to
Tunafish