LeanBurn Conversion is Done! 1987 Fifth Avenue

After being concerned that the LeanBurn computer may be toasting my engine by running it too lean, even though it was performing fairly well, I decided that NOW was the time to do the conversion to a standard 2bbl carburetor and Chrysler electronic ignition. I know enough to get by, but am far from an experienced mechanic and didn't want to take any chances ruining my new car from not knowing how to maintain/tune LeanBurn.

The conversion was pretty much a bolt-on deal with removal of the old carburetor, distributor, and LeanBurn computer and wiring harness. The ignition was an "Orange Box" kit that included everything needed. I actually got the kit on eBay for $99, manufactured in 1996, but still new-in-box. The carburetor is an OEM style carb from a '74 Valiant that I ordered from Advance auto parts for $116.

It runs GREAT now! It's just like all of my other old clunkers now... Depress and release the accelerator pedal once to start and it will idle high for a bit to warm up, then I can tap the pedal and it will drop down to a normal idle and run smooth as can be! No more super rich cold startups that make the catalytic convertors glow red hot. No more chugging along until it's good and hot. And out driving, no hesitation, no stumble while crusing or accelerating. No choking when I let off of the gas! It runs great...period!

I'm glad I did it!

-Steve

Reply to
Steve Reinis

One more tip: Buy another EI module (preferably something like a Borg-Warner, Standard Ignition, or Wells unit from a parts store) and keep it in your glove box. Manufacturing quality on those "Orange Box" types was all over the map. Lots of them die for no apparent reason, but I've rarely had an original Chrysler "black box", Standard, Borg-Warner or other aftermarket unit konk out on me.

Reply to
Steve

I'll also add: Keep your ears open for rattlety-ping! The distributors that come with the Mopar Performance Orange Box kits are equipped with VERY light "drag race" springs on the mechanical advance weights, and these usually allow too much spark advance too quickly, causing pinging under acceleration.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Yes! That was a tip I read on the web! I do have some ping, but nothing too terrible. I'm going to hit the junkyard and swap out the springs.

Reply to
Steve Reinis