18 volt Alternator

Perhaps one of you Fridayniters can help me before I go to FLAPS and start throwing around hard-earned money like a big shot. '68 1600, with alt conversion My Alt will kick up to 17- 18 volts intermittently, mostly when cold, early mornings, after work etc. Lights get real bright I tell you! Also the engine seems to bog down when this happens, maybe my imagination. I've got a voltmeter that plugs into the lighter, digital readout, otherwise I may have not noticed exactly what was happening right away. Its done this for 3 days now. Do you think the Alt is shot already? (about a year old) I realize this is a Brazilian part, so I guess I expect to buy 2 (or more) to get one that works. Is the internal regulator something fixable or replaceable or easier to get a new alt.

I and my wallet thank any and all responses.:)

Reply to
ellis

My take is that would have to be a problem in the regulator itself or internal connections. If you can find a new reg, I would replace that first.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim