Engine pulling - Yet another question from the technologically inept:)

Quick question. I'm trying to pull my engine off the tranny of my '63 beetle (the body is off the chassis if you want to know:) and having a hell of a time with it. I've gotten some support under the engine, disconnected all hoses and wires and removed the 4 17mm bolts holding the engine on. My dad and I have tried pulling straight back on the engine as all the books we've consulted it will come off this way. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I believe the crackshaft is siezed up so that might make a difference but I'm not sure. All the books I've look at only explains things as if it all works wonderfully. Any advice as to how to get the engine pulled off would be great. Thanks!

Reply to
Neil Winchell

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 01:08:46 GMT, "Neil Winchell" shared the following:

Have your dad raise and lower the engine while you wiggle it around and pull back on it, or you raise and lower it while your dad pulls back on it. Not a lot, just a little. This is a manual tranny? If it is then the only thing holding it in is the 4 bolts. I seem to remember someone saying if it's an autostick that there's something else you need to do to remove the engine. "Pull harder." Even if the "crackshaft" is seized up I can't see how that would keep you from being able to pull the motor. You aircooled guys.... tsk tsk... :-D

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

There are two nuts in front of the bellhousing in the bottom side and = two bolts with nuts in the upper side. The engine and transmission cases could be corroded together. Maybe a whack with rubber hammer would help. You can also push the clutch pedal in while the other one yanks the engine.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

sometimes they are really stuck together..one time I was wiggling and pulling and cussing so much I was starting to think it would wiggle off the jack stands....

try putting it in neutral and turning the pull a few degrees

Tim

Reply to
Tim

If it is autostick there are some special bolts to loosen inside the bell housing that you can get to via a small opening if I remember correctly. Most manuals discuss this. Last autostick's motor one I removed was back in

1977 - winter - in the snow - outside - for hours... trying to figure out how to get the thing out given my (then) limited Kmart toolset. I don't recall much more other than that the cold (from the ice on the driveway seemed to travel right through my coat and into my back and nearly froze me out.
Reply to
KWW

Reply to
Tim Rogers