1969 Beetle Gas gauge problems

Hi, I have a 1969 Beetle that is having fuel gauge problems. It seems that both the gauge and the sending unit burnt out. I've replaced both of them and the fuel gauge now registers, however it registers full until the tank is almost empty. The replacement gauge was manufactured by VDO (fits inside the speedo), however I'm not sure who made the sending unit. I was going to check the ohm range of the sending unit but after doing research on the net, it seems that it can vary - some posts say it should be 73-10 others say 180 -10. Can anybody point me in the correct direction on how I can resolve the problem? If the guage needs the lower value and I have a sending unit that generates the higher ohmage, can I put a resitor in parallel with it?

Thanks in advance areyouwireless = = = = = = = = = =

Reply to
areyouwireless

Look for the Fuel Gauge article on my web site.

IMWIRELESS Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

LOL

I still have *some* strings attached... Am I wired then??

Reply to
bug '59

Jim, Thank you - your article proved to be most valuable. However I still have a small problem. I checked the ohmage of the tank sending unit. Its range is 11-67 ohms - within range of the specs. But no matter what position I put the float at, the fuel gauge still reads full. As a last chance effort I put a 31 ohm resistor in series with the sending unit (something I had on hand) and viola! the fuel gauge starts to register less than full. What I want to do is put a 100 ohm potentiometer in series with it, however I'm not sure what the current draw will be for the fuel gauge. Do you have any clue what wattage I need to have the pot rated for? As a side effect of this, I can now use the pot to calibrate the fuel gauge. Also, any other last thoughts?

Thanks Again AreYouWireless = = = = = = = =

Speedy Jim wrote:

Reply to
areyouwireless