1st time bleeding the brakes, how much?

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 01:23:36 -0600, Ant scribbled this interesting note:

Here's a decent description of the process:

Don't know the poster of this information, just did a quick search to find something you could look at.

If the above mentioned procedure fails to work then you have some other issues you need to look at.

Good Luck.

-- John Willis

Reply to
John Willis

Hi

Today I've been bleeding the disc brakes of my '72 SB and after 10 times on each front wheel still the pedal is soft and the car doesn't brake.

The method I follow is: my friend presses the pedal several times, then keeps it pressed, I release the bleeder valve and air comes out. Again, again, again.....

The reason I bleed the brakes is because I had to push the pistons back to their position in the caliper, and quite some fluid came out in the process. My question is: is normal to do this so many times until the brakes are completely done? am I following the correct procedure?

I feel kind of annoying asking so much about and often the brakes, but it is a safety issue that concerns me and I want to do it properly.

thanks Ant

Reply to
Ant

Close. I'm no expert but the method I've always used is...

1) Make sure the brake fluid reservoir is filled up to the max. 2) Release the bleed valve first. 3) Ask some friendly assistent to pump the brakes 3-4 times and hold the pedal to the floor. 4) Tighten the valve 5) Release the pedal.

Warning: Brake fluid will hopefully squirt out the bleed valve when the pedal is pumped so make sure you hold a rag over the valve to prevent it stripping the paint off of your surrounding body work.

Repeat if you feel bubble coming out of the valve rather than a nice squirt of brake fluid. Brake fluid is cheap compared to what could happen if the brakes are crap out on the road so don't worry about wasting it too much.

Reply to
Martin

Ok, Couple of things here.

Check out the website. Are you're bleeder valves on the top of the calipers? If not, switch them so they are. The bleeder valve should be above the inlet line. Bleed the rear brakes too. Start with right rear, do left rear, and then front right, then front left. Work your way towards the master cylinder.

Reply to
Anthony