2 cylinder vw any bets?

I am taking my beloved '74 into the shop tomorrow, it hasn't run in 10 years.* When started only the left 2 cylinders fire up. The right 2 cut in for a few brief seconds once in awhile and then it is back to the 2 left ones again.

Any bets on what the mechanic will say?

By the way, the mechanic was, until recently the head mechanic at a big VW dealership in Nuevo Laredo, Mexico. His skills should be pretty current.

LLB

*I should say hasn't been driven. I would start it up every few weeks to keep everything lubed.
Reply to
brassbend

dry rotted and cracked intake boot on the right side, would be my first guess...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

My first guess too but I replaced already with a well sealed slip on boot. Could still be the problem.

LB

Reply to
brassbend

that was my guess due to it being common to both cylinders on one side... usually if it is a single carb setup and you have the symptoms you describe it is intake related...either boot or gasket at the head...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I bought a bus running ot 2 cylinders once, I took the rocker cover of to have a look, and all the rockers fell out !!

Bolted them back up, ajusted the gaps and off it went .

Rich

Reply to
tricky