40 hp accelerator cable question

Hey guys, I picked up a '63 Bug with the original 40 horse. It has the og carb, and the spring with the cone and the clip mechanism. The problem I have is that the throttle doesn't close all the way. I imagine the spring-cone-clip mechanism needs to be adjusted somehow to create enough tension to close the throttle completely, but I am at a loss on how to do it. I have the throtte tube secured behind the shroud with a hose clamp. the spring is on as well as the cone and the clip is on with the pointed in sticking into the cone. Any ideas?

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

On 04 Jul 2004 03:28:55 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnojunk (Braukuche) scribbled this interesting note:

First off clean up the floor board. An unbelievable amount of dirt can accumulate there and really bollux up the workings of the pedals. After that make sure the cable is routed correctly. Check the spring on the pedal, double check the spring at the carburetor. Adjust as necessary. It is all a matter of checking and adjusting as needed. Of course the cable itself may have stretched over time and you need a new one!:~)

John Willis

Reply to
Braukuche