'67 Bonnet won't open

My son just bought a '67 Bug, and the seller couldn't open the bonnet. He said it would take two people to open it as the cable or locking mechanism was not adjusted properly. One person was to pull the knob on the dash while another lifted on the bonnet handle. The seller pulled on the knob until the cable evidently came off of the locking mechanism, and the bonnet never showed any signs of coming close to opening. What is going to be the best way to open this bonnet. The seller showed me an access hole underneath the vehicle at the back of the storage area, which is maybe 21/2" in diameter.

Tom Lacombe

Looked into this because my bug had a similar problem. I was very happy when I found that the cable was just too long: yanking on it with locking pliers opened it.

I read someplace (probably here) that the hole does not help if the spare is in place because it is in the way. Some people seem to resort of cutting into the glovebox and just replacing it - sounds like a good option if you have no choice. Apparently another option is that you can cut the handle in two and spin it off - seems to me that could do damage to the paint. Handles are probably more expensive than a glove box.

Remco

Reply to
remco

sometimes if the spare wheel it not sitting correctly (dont ask ! :-) ), or the tyres are wider than stock, you have to push to get the bonnet closed ... then you are in trouble trying to open it again ! the solution to this one is to sit / put weight on the bonet as if you are trying to close it whist a helper pulls the release cable from inside.

Stuck bonets are relatively quite common (in my expereince) I have another bug with a stuck bonnet I havent looked at yet so more replies to this thead would be welcomed by me too :-)

Rich

Reply to
Tricky

I thank you for the speedy replies. I called my son to give him the tips and he had already gotten it open. By laying down in front of the bug and pulling on the handle, he was able to get a slight opening in which he stuck a long slender chisel which allowed him to move the mechanism. Open Sez-me.

Tom Lacombe