67 - Long or Short Axle ?

Hi everyone.

I'm just sorting through all my stuff. I have most of the back end of a

67 bug. I was wondering if the axle tubes/shafts are early / late - or one year only ?

thanks

Rich

Reply to
tricky

'67 Beetles had a one-year-only rear axle & housing. It was a longer axle shaft, but still used the narrow brake drum found before '68... so the splined section of the shaft is short. In '68 the splined area was longer to handle wider drums. The cast iron ends of the housings should have an "A" cast into them.

Reply to
AshMan40

Thanks AshMan

so is any of it any good for a straight axle conversion for a split screen van ?

Rich

Reply to
tricky