70 Camper van questions

A co-worker directed me to a 1970 VW camper van that's part of an estate that need to be settled. It's been sitting for probably 15 yrs outside, fortunately protected by several trees. A few windows have been broken out by neighbor kids and there's a mess of body rust (mostly lower) I'll need to find an engine deck lid and front deck lid, windshield, and probably won't be able to save the bumpers. I've restored a few cars before and have an idea of what I'm into, but I don't know if these things are worthy of restoration. My main concern is parts availability. Are they still available new, or will I have to rely on swap meets. Also when looking for parts, is it considered a type 2? It seems like they list campers and bus sometimes in the parts books. Are they one in the same for mechanical purposes?

Reply to
JeffRens

Yes the same -- but what is a front deck lid --- nothing opens in the front. The nose is a single big expensive section. Check the frame and floor for rust. These really aren't that collectible (yet) --- especially when rusty. Perhaps the rust is still just on the surface.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Yea.. silly me. At a glance, it seemed to be a separate, non welded, fairly easily removable section. Don't know why I called it a lid. Would parts be hard to find for such a beast?

Reply to
JeffRens

Camper same as Bus (Type 2) for sheet metal work. One source:

most of the big VW parts houses list sheet metal in their catalog.

From the description you gave of the Bus, you could be looking at a lifetime project. If you're already skilled in Mig welding and allied metalworking tasks, maybe less. You'll have to decide if the time and effort is worth it to salvage this thing.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim