72 Super fresh air box motor squealing, is there a new replacement?

Well, I took my motor out of the box, cleaned and oiled it. Lasted about a month, now it makes that high-pitched squealing noise again.

Stopped in at the local Bug shop - they say there is no replacement for it

- would have to salvage.

Great, but eventually the salvage piece is going to crap out too.

Has anyone tried a different motor from another car or should I pull it and have the motor rebuit by an electrical shop?

Reply to
Barnhart Pinball

Those motors use a sintered bronze bearing and the usual way of reoiling them is to put bearing into hot oil and leave it there for 24 hrs. The oil seeps into the microscopic gaps in the bearing. Its a bit hard obviously because the bearing has to be extracted without damage and put back in again. What I did with my T3 box was throw out the internals and replaced them with a "in line fan" I sourced from a boating shop. Essentially its a

12 volt, 4-5 amp fan with a ~ 4 inch diameter tube either end. The idea is to cut out a section of fresh air pipe and insert this. Worked brilliantly. It didnt have two speed setting so I just worked out a resistor to put in series to drop speed a bit. Probably be somewhere about 1.5 ohms About 20 watts. I put resistor in front of fan outlet to keep it cool. No plans of course because it depends on what you buy. Wasnt hard though and it kept me out of missuses way for a day.

John

Reply to
John

What type of oil did you use?