73 bus - mystery control

Hey all,

I've been lurking awhile and already learned tons from this site. I've previously owned two beetles, a '73 super and a '74 sunbug. Just recently, however, I've come into the possession of a '73 Kombi and I'm baffled by a control I can find no reference to (online or elsewhere). The control in question is a cable/knob affair that protrudes from the driver's seat pillar (center side, not door side) beside and a little above the brake fluid reservoir. The cable does a little turn and disappears down into the floor under the driver's seat. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

MZ

Reply to
Zeeber

It could be a manual choke if it is a carburated model and someone modified the carb. from auto choke to manual.

J.

Reply to
Berg

Hmmm, don't think so - at least not anymore. The bus has a "Genuine VW of Canada" remanufactured longblock with dual Weber ICT's. The engine is stamped AWxxxxxx so I'm thinking it's an 1800 (as opposed to the original 1700).

The control certainly looks like a choke control but it's in an odd location and it looks like it's original to the bus. The bus has been stored for the winter now so it'll be difficult for me to get a closer look at where the cable might go (or could have gone). Additional info I did get before putting it away for the winter; it appears to have had an original heater in the engine compartment as there are clips and a circular indentation on the inside rear driver's side fender. Also there's a duct on the driver's side between the engine bay and the area under the rear seat (alongside the tank?). Finally, there's well defined holes (that have been plugged) in the "battery tray" area on the driver's side => likely for the exhaust from the heater.

Could this mystery control have related to flaps or something like that for the add-on heater?

Thanks in advance,

M. Zeeb

Reply to
Zeeber

Just might have been one of the various brands of gas heaters installed either by factory/dealer/PrevOwner Check out this page and open various manuals to see if anything looks familiar.

Bill

It's the control cable to active the air deflection to the passenger area from underneath the center walkthrough vents. Black knob.

Reply to
alalumia

Thank you so much!

Reply to