'73 1303 Beetle Handbrake replacing

Does anyone know of a good site/book to guide a complete beginner through replacing the handbrake cable?

Cheers Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Cook

when I did mine all I did was tie a length of string to the old cable and pulled it threw. then tied it to the new one and used the string to pull the new one in. thats after removing the rear drum and brake shoes.

Stephen Cook wrote:

Reply to
Gregg H

I've done the hand brake cables on my other car, and they just clipped into place and bolted to the handle....I take it that on a Beetle, it is a different story?

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Its not difficult. The hardest problem will be getting the rear hub nut undone. It just unclips from the rear. The front will normally have 2 nuts on it, one as a locknut. emove these, and just pull the cable out. The new one pushes back up the tube from the rear.Remember to add grease to it as you feed it in. Then just hook it back out at the handbrake end, and reattach to the mechanism. Obviously you will need to readjust the brake shoes at the rear again afterwards ( as you had to slacken them right off to get the drum off)

Neil

Reply to
Neil

Tip: when adjusting rear shoes, teh nadbrake cables should be loosened.. only after the shoes are adjusted, should you tighten and adjust the handbrake cables..

Jan

Reply to
Jan

The forums of my site have info on this and the manuals.

-- James Michael Dunn snipped-for-privacy@superbeetlesonly.com

Superman