74 VW 1800 Bus burnt out exhaust valve. Now what?

G'day folks, I'm after some advice about my VW pop-top camper. So you know what I actually have, I call it a 74 Kombi, a guy I know in the UK calls it a 'Bay Window' and a friend in New Jersey calls it a 'Microbus.' It has the larger type rear lights and twin Solex carbies. I bought it because I had some romantic notion of doing the Big Lap (once around Aussie on the coast road) with the wife and the hound now the kids have finally left home. I bought it through a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy who knew VWs (yeah, I know). It needed a little TLC but it drove well, albeit like a maxi yacht in cross-winds, and had no trouble keeping up in freeway traffic. It's a 3 speed auto and takes a while to get up to traffic speed. The other day I noticed it was idling roughly at traffic lights but was fine otherwise initially . within an hour the thing was running rough with a marked loss of power. I figured (hoped) I was looking at a dud spark plug or lead. I replaced the plugs, points and rotor which seemed to be cracked but there was no improvement. A mechanic friend of a friend (who refuses point blank to work on VWs) did a few tests for me. The leads were okay. No 2 cylinder was the problem. It' was getting spark but it had no compression. He's sure it has a burnt out exhaust valve. I asked around some VW 'experts' and I've been told it might have 'pulled a valve in' whatever that means. I'm led to believe that I'm up for a lot of money to fix things - the engine is hard to get out as the rear apron is welded in not bolted in and even reconditioned heads are very expensive. Big question: has the aforementioned hound now got the best doghouse on the block, or can the car be repaired without a second mortgage?

Reply to
RichDownUnder

Hi, The head can be replaced without removing the engine (Do a valve job on the head..cheaper)..lot of work but it can be done...lots of tin work...I a a retired VW mechanic from NY..Howie

Reply to
Howard and Hope

Just pull the head and have a new valve installed (before it breaks off and beats a hole in the top of the piston and ruins the head. I could be a valve seat popped loose too. I'd do both at same time - perhaps replacing all the valves. Its not very expesnive if you can do the work yourself --- farming out the head work to a machinest.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Howie and Wolfgang, very many thanks for the expertise. I found a VW mechanic nearby who emigrated from Germany so I assume he will know his stuff. I know, "assume" makes and ass.... At any rate at least he'll know that I know the head can be fixed without removing the engine. His workshop is about 3 kilometres away. Would it be safe to drive the car there slowly, or should I get it towed? Cheers, RichDownUnder.

Reply to
RichDownUnder

I would tow it --- if the valve breaks off - cost to repair could be 10x what it is now! I had one break it beat the head up to where it wasn't repairable as well as the top of the piston.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Wolfgang, again, many thanks. Knowing my luck that valve will do just as you suggest it might. I'll get it towed for sure.

Reply to
RichDownUnder