74 hood on 71

Will the hood from a 74 standard fit on my 71 (standard, swing axle) beetle? I've found one locally that has never been repaired, mine's been hit and fixed (poorly). The hood currently on the bug uses the 1040mm chrome strip, and has no emblem. This length of strip seems to point to a 73-77 hood. Is this normal for Canadian beetles?

Mike Kayer

Reply to
MK

Interesting situation. I know not the Canadian Standard on the bugs. However I have two 71 standards and they both have the short strip and the emblem...................The hoods should interchange no problem, though.............Hell give it a shot if you can get a good price.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®
71 canadian beetles had swingaxles????

the hoods from a 71 and 74 will interchange, 71 should have the logo and 74 (unless you are joey tribbiani) will not have one...

but a 71 with a swingaxle??????

If you don't, it's its.

and likewise yours

Reply to
VWGirl

Reply to
Ben Boyle

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 22:37:45 -0400, "VWGirl" ran around screaming and yelling:

site your resources.......i have a copy of vw trends at my fingertips that states very clearly that 1975 was the first year without the emblem...so its anybodies guess....

JT(one "b" in Tribiani please)

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

yeah but we all know how many mistakes that VW Trends makes, I would hardly site them as a realiable source! 72 was the last year for beetles/super beetles to have a VW logo on the hood from the factory!

Reply to
VWGirl
68 up on autosticks....

Reply to
VWGirl

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 22:59:58 -0400, Joey Tribiani scribbled this interesting note:

How long have you had that magazine at hand, just waiting for this to come up again?:~)

John Willis

about a year???

Reply to
VWGirl

Yes lauren, That makes sense..........I had a 73 mexican beetle ,..............gave it to a guy who has a farm to play on............It had swingaxle rearend.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Reply to
Ben Boyle

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:07:51 -0500, John Willis ran around screaming and yelling:

LOL...i actually *don't* have the mag at my fingertips...i have a scan of the article....Scanned it for lauren once when we were on Mirc and she did not get the mag....so i still have it "at my fingertips"....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 16:47:38 -0400, "VWGirl" ran around screaming and yelling:

couldn't tell ya...you tell me...i scanned it and sent it to you....memory fading? JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 08:04:37 -0400, "VWGirl" ran around screaming and yelling:

hey, all i am saying is i have "printed" data...you have openly admitted that you have "i think".... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

i have the article around here somewhere... i know when it was printed... you sent it to me a while later.... i dont know why... just to piss me off i suppose!

Reply to
VWGirl

well... ALL autosticks were IRS by default no matter where you were... it;s a statement of a fact rather than "pretty much the only place" which is just a statement of nonsense... either it is or is not the only place.. which is it? please go write to VW and have them send you a letter to verify... or whoever you want to send off to to get an email so that whether or not IT states anything you can run with it... Maybe you should write to rocky mountain motor works!

Reply to
VWGirl

Volkswagen Bug! The People's Car by Ray Miller The Evergreen Press

2nd Printing Oct 1986 320 pages

Page 285: "The vw hood insignia was deleted on the Sedans (only) in

1972 but continued on Convertibles.

Page 299 (Hood Ornaments) photo 1: Pre-war Kdf emblem photo 2: Solid aluminum June '49-March '50 photo 3: March '50-Oct. '52 photo 4: 4 mounting tabs 1953-1960, 3 mounting pins 1961-1963 photo 5: 3 mounting pins, 1964-1972 (Sedans);1979 on Convertibles

This is a great book with over 1000 photos depicting year to year changes. Most of the photos are B&W but there are a few color photos too. It is available at amazon.com (only one copy left, but more on the way). Used copys are at abe.com. You can really become an expert at identifing model years at a glance. Now whenever a bug comes in sight my wife's eyes glaze over in anticipation of my (lengthly) discourse of its model year... (not that I'm an expert)

Ted--77std Sacramento

Reply to
Ted

I've still NEVER seen ANY 1303 with a VW logo on the hood... would like to see a pic! Must be a rare and valuable item to own one of those hoods!

Reply to
VWGirl

Reply to
Ben Boyle

On 30 Apr 2004 13:07:29 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Ted) ran around screaming and yelling:

hehe....Ted...you havent' been around for awhile have you? LOL...don't bring facts into one of mine and lauren's discussions....they are just friendly pissing contests.......they go way back....we have fun with it... JT(HEY LAURENthey *didn't* discontinue the emblem in 72 apparently..)

Reply to
Joey Tribiani