76 CA Bus.........idle problems.

I am having a tough time finding a lot of info on this bus, for it is a CA model. It is early 76 model at that. They changed parts of the fi mid way thru.

Prior to now.........i had running like a champ, drove it 300 miles no problems to a buddies to store. It sat for 6 months, and then just would not crank and stay running. Did tests, found AFM to be faulty, replaced, and now it fires up. But it is weak at cold idle.

It has a dual advance distributor on it. I have no idea what to set the distributor (timing wise) and how to be sure that the vacuum is hooked up right. Front side of the can (away from dizzy body) is going to the throttle body, while the back side is "t"ing into the little nipple right next to where the brake booster hose attaches to the air distributor. I want to make a daily driver out of this thing, for i have done a lot of mechanical work to it (i rebuilt motor, brakes, etc).and just want it to run like it should.

I have tested for vac leaks, and none are present.

Reply to
Vanagon Man

Please explain in words what you are calling "AFM" if it is the AirFlow Meter then you hopefully had it adjusted by a shop that is familiar with L-Jetronic and old aircooleds! They are not properly adjusted "out of the box." That could be all of your problems right there. If it is as bad as when I learned this lesson myself, it can get mighty expensive as I cooked both heads from too lean top end adjustment.

If it is only during cold start, the coldstart circuits could be to blame. There is an auxiliary air bypass valve and a coldstart injector which are both controlled by the thermo-time switch. Your vintage also had a throttle position switch which may have influence on it.

The big green Bentley bus manual has fairly good info on this model and the blue Bentley "Bosche Fuel Injection Systems" (or to that effect) has enough information for you to fully understand all the components and what they do / should do.

Reply to
Busahaulic