77 down the road.

There's a 77 down the road. Fuel injected runs awesome. Awesome floors, heater channels. Very clean inside and trunk is clean. Engine tins are all intact. I didn't see any rotted rubber anywhere. Or retaped wires. Its Repainted blue. Older paint job. mag wheels with wide new tires , The sunroof is leaking a waterfall into right rear floor. 1/4 inch of water on the carpet. Rest of floors are bone dry. Its cocked a half inch on the drivers side. Like its not closed or something. Owner said she put the sunroof in it. Its got a bit of rust on the roof by the drivers rain channel, some small peeling lifted paint spots. in different areas. trunk lid edges are rusted. , Its not hacked at all, and its got heat. Transmission is covered in black gear lube oil. half dozen Drips hanging off the bottom of the transmission . Minor piddly issues. window winders missing, glove box wont stay closed, Spare tire looks unused original. Some new parts are behind the back seat.

They want $3500.

Reply to
DogDiesel

. . . .

I have a '77 std bug that's probably as good or better than that one here in Binghamton, NY. I'd sell it for $3500.

Garage kept and never driven on salted winter roads

Original owner put a lot of cash into an all-Berg rebuild with new case, machined in 88 mm cylinders, semi-hemi heads, solid rocker shafts with swivel rockers, counterbalanced Berg crank, SVDA distributor, full flow oil, etc., etc.

Stock crank, EFI and exhaust

Good heat with original heater boxes

Black polyurethane paint by original owner at a shop in Colorado maybe ten years ago (?)

I experience no observable oil loss between 3000 mile oil changes and valve adjustments

Full set of aftermarket gauges installed by me including digital head temp and exhaust mixture

5 1/2 inch steel Brazillian wheels powder-coated by me locally here in Binghamton and then mounted with Vredestein tires - 185's and 205's front and rear

Type 3 drums in rear, stock drums in front, entire brake system except for line in tunnel replaced by me about 10,000 miles ago. Also, I installed a new adjustable front beam at that time along with HD sway bars front and rear and new oil shocks in the front and gas type in the rear

Alpine 4 speaker sound system with sub-woofer behind rear seat installed by me

Aftermarket front seats installed by original owner. The driver's side ought to be replaced. I'd go for going back to originals but haven't come across any here where I live for quite a few years now. Bugs are scarce now here the heart of the rust belt more so than in the south or out west

Lots of spare parts including new set of heads from aircooled.net, glass rubber for windshields and doors, tons of misc. stuff mostly still in the original boxes

There is a noticeable gear whine in the tranny but hasn't changed any since 2002 when I bought this bug out in Colorado and then drove it back home here in NY. I have a sixties swing axle tranny that has never been used since rebuild from airccooled.net that's included which could be used by the next owner in a partial swap maybe for a rebuilt IRS tranny

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Typo in the previous message - not a stock crankshaft

It's a counterbalanced Berg crank

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Typo in the previous message - not a stock crankshaft

It's a counterbalanced Berg crank

Im waiting until spring . But thanks for the offer. Your car sounds awesome.

Reply to
DogDiesel

I would buy a VW from Tim any day. It just so happens that I don't have $3500 and if I did, it would be enough to ship my bug here from Finland :D

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Its the best offer i had so far.

Reply to
DogDiesel

Tim is a stand up, honest, guy.... He bought that bug from the previous owner(Earl) that was a member here also... the car was done well, and done right, and Tim has done that bug justice by keeping it in great shape, and making it even better.... If I didn't hate vw's already, I'd be willing to make a trip to upstate...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Hell, maybe Tim should put it on a vintage car lot and get what it is really worth. Clean VW Bugs go for big bucks here in MinneSnowta and I'd imagine Upstate NY is the same.

Reply to
John Stafford

There aren't any vintage dealers here locally in the Binghamton, NY area. I may place an ad with autotrader and see what happens. I placed an ad about 3 months ago at thesamba for $5K and got a few interested inquiries but nothing panned out. There is a vintage and rod weekend gathering every Sat. at the mall here that I might park it at with a for sale sign. I think that it's worth the $5K but am willing to settle for the $3500 price now to get it out of the garage before winter arrives. I parked it there at the mall one day last spring to just walk around and look at the other cars and when I got back, there were about 6-7 people standing around it and talking about 'the good old days' when they had one. I'll hang on to it and let them bury me in it before I let it go for less than $3500. If the yahoos around here don't appreciate its worth . . . screw-em !!!!

I'd feel a lot better of course if it went to someone who knows ACVW's and would take care of it properly. If it got parked outside here in this area and worse yet driven on the salted roads here in the winter, it would turn into a typical rust belt POS in no time.

Reply to
Tim Rogers