Vw beetle verses 85-92 Golf Diesel.

My current train of though after reading How to keep your Vw alive is im on the fence again. I'm doing the pro con thing.

So for your viewing pleasure. Meet my brain. This is my brain on VW. Feel free to add to the list as I try and make up my mind.

Beetle. Awesome looks. Golf. You aren't getting any. Beetle Rust is very bad Golf Rust is bad Beetle No heat Golf Lots of heat. Beetle 35 mpgallon Golf Diesel 40 mpgallon. Beetle Air-cooled wound kinda tight. Golf water-cooled , way under stressed. Beetle points ignition Golf glowplugs Beetle goes 60mph Golf diesel Goes 60 mph Beetle 50 hp awesome engine Golf 52 hp. awesome engine. Beetle tons of maintenance. Golf rolling unbreakable drivetrain, the rest is broken. Or gonna break. Beetle summer only Golf year round. Beetle gets attention and head turns Golf you hide and try and sneak by without getting seen. Beetle purchase cost expensive. Golf cheap. Beetle parts are expensive Golf cheap. Beetle no timing belt Golf timing belt breaks and your engine is blown up. Beetle , looks like I have to learn some stuff. Golf I know it all.

Reply to
DogDiesel

just a couple comments... as far as rust, rust is a worse issue on the golf, the type 1 sedan has panels readily available and is a walk in the park to fix rust.... and, the type 1 sedan has great heat when the entire system is intact... the majority of them are not intact, hence the false thought that the heat sucks...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Yes I drove in one with the heat working correctly. A 66 , 6 volt . It was good. About 50F , raining , fogged windows. and we had heat in about 15 minutes. Then we started turning it down.

Reply to
DogDiesel

Im in a salted road area. My opinion is a Beetle will rust long before a Golf will. Just due to technology advances and coated metal on the Golf. But thats not the point.

Reply to
DogDiesel

in much colder temperatures than that, I'm turning my heat down after just a few minutes...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

we salt here... nothing says you can't use technology on older vehicles...that's one way I've cut maintenance on my old type 1 down quite a bit...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

drivetrain, the rest is broken. Or gonna break.

Not tons, but some. Unless you plan to drive >10 000 miles every year.

If you have working heating, winter is not a problem, even with 6V battery. I've tried and at that time we had several weeks below zero F. ;)

Not warm but not cold either inside, but side/rear windows were throughly foggy.

Salt is a problem but it's not a technical problem, but a policy.

I'd say Beetle parts are cheapest you can get to any car. At least here in north (Finland).

There's also a wide variation: On the other end NOS parts to typ34 Ghias which usually aren't sale for something so common than money (usually soul and some body parts is required) and the other end is very cheap no-name chinese parts for newer Beetles.

Reply to
Tuomas