any synchros in Canada?

I'd like to look around for one those 4wd vans when I get back to Toronto. Anybody know if they were ever sold there, or is it going to be another smuggle-it-north job?

Reply to
Oldbie

Anybody know if they

................They were sold in the USA and Canada. They're all waterboxers or diesels. The diesel is very underpowered but I've seen an upgrade (a website from South Africa) where an inter-cooled turbo can fix that problem. The waterboxer version is less underpowered but gets poor gas mileage depending on your driving style. They're all four speed standard shift from what I've seen but there might have been a five speed option, I'm not sure. The 2wd vanagons are a lot nicer to drive (until you try to go offroad) and are easier to find. The automatic transmissions (2wd only) are pretty trouble free but performance & gas mileage suffer some but not as much as you'd expect. I have a 2wd 1986 GL with the auto tranny here in upstate NY that I'd sell but the engine is shot. It'd probably cost between

1 and 2 thousand $ to get it fixed.
Reply to
Tim Rogers

I think that the syncros are more common in canada... AND you have the double cab syncros up there!!!

I think mine is a 4 spd... might be a five... i don't really know :-/ it has at least 4 forward gears :-D

They are expensive to get parts for if they break! good luck!

I love my syncro :-) Lauren

Anybody know if they

Reply to
VWGirl

These guys usually have a couple for sale:

They're in Montreal....

Anybody know if they

Reply to
Eric Janzen