Anyone out there built a Porsche 356/912 motor?

I need some hints and help for bulding a 912/356 motor? Anything special beyond the manuals and videos I will be using. This is my first shot at rebuilding. Thanks.

Reply to
ZSchralper

Off the top! :-) IIRC no it should be easy. I think you have the three piece case because the early 356s had a 2 piece case like the Volkswagens. OH find a good machine shop that you trust, you don't want them to crack the heads if they are replacing the valve guides. Some of the pistons had 4 rings instead of the usual 3 rings that you find on other vehicles. Are you going with new piston/cylinders? Do you have all the tools that you need to hold the flywheel while you loosen the gland nut, and the tool to pull the crank gears off? Heat the gears up to reinstall. Torque wrench? Make sure the bearings are properly seated before torquing the case together and ALWAYS check to make sure the crank does not bind AS you are torquing it down. BTW I like STP and motor oil as my lube for the bearings. ;-)

Have fun. ;-) later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

What dave said :)

Vic Skirmant's does good cylinder head work - 356enterprises.com

Tim Berardelli has an unbelieveble cam grind - aka: the stump puller - be sure to reface the lifters though. He will also resize and rebush rods.

With a big bore kit, different jets in the stock Solexes and that cam you will be *amazed* at the difference. Really wakes that engine up.

knt

- Porsche 912 enthusiasts

dave wrote:

Reply to