Bad Vanagon Master Cylinders?

Hi,

I had to start pumping the brakes to get the pedal up, so I rebuilt the master cylinder, but the bore was pitted, so when it didn't help I bought a reman. This didn't help either (although, now the pedal doesn't slowly go down once it is pumped up, like before). So, I bought a more expensive master, and now I still have the same problem. I bled the brakes at each wheel to be sure there was no air in the system. The pedal goes right down - no pressure until it hits bottom. If it is pushed down really hard it will stop the vehicle, but if I pump it 4 or 5 times the pedal comes up more & more each time, and the brakes act normal - until I let my foot off them, then it is back to square 1. I don't know what else could cause this, but can't see it being just so many bad master cylinders. Has anyone else had this problem, and solved it? Thanks for any advice.

Best Regards, Rich

Reply to
Neeky

This sounds more like excessive clearance between either pads and rotor or between shoes and drum.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

It sounds like you have some drum brakes that need to be adjusted. They are not self adjusting, so you have to adjust them occasionally to make up for wear. Otherwise, they just call for too much pedal travel and you get exactly these symptoms.

-

Jim Adney

Thanks Jim, you were right. When I brought the first master back, they did a "free brake inspection" to confirm it was the master cylinder. I rechecked this afternoon, and the shoes are almost to metal, and the one adjuster had fallen right out! I put it back on, adjusted them up, and the brakes work fine now. New shoes will be in tomorrow.

Thanks Aga>

Reply to
Neeky

Glad it finally worked out for you, but sorry that it took you down so many blind alleys before you reached a solution.

-

Jim Adney