Front Axle Beam On beetle, What Is the Replacement Procedure?

I have a 1973 VW Beetle.

I want to know if one person can replace the front axle beam complete with drums by himself. I don't need to do this right away. I just want to know how to do it and if it can be done. I was going to remove the front fenders and try and get a special fitting for the floor jack to help hold the axle beam in place so I could lift it up.

I was also going to place some cushions in case I dropped it so it would not get damaged.

Thanks!

Reply to
Josef

'74 had shock absorbing bumpers and, as you note, the bumper reinforcing struts have to be cut. '73 didn't have that "feature".

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

This is Good to know. I hadn't realized that the

74's Shock Absorber type bumpers were the Catalyst for the design change. I was Changing the front end at a MOTEL 6 in the parking lot against the wishes of the management and only to make the car ( which wasn;t worth the effort) tow-able to Texas from Florida....................

It was only out of desperation that I even tried to make the car roadworthy enough to get home..................Long Story.

Thanks again Speedy.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Reply to
Dave

The steering box comes off easily? I have a donor car and need to take the box out...

Reply to
Eduardo