1990 Vanagon- brakes-master cylinder or booster

Please if you have experienced or know what the problem is....help. My van when stopped at a stoplight, the brake pedal pressure will fade to the point where it is almost resting on the floor. If I pump them the pressure will build back up, but will soon start to fade again. I had the brakes replaced and bled several months ago, in addition, I have bled the brakes several times in the attempt to remedy this problem. Now I am thinking it is the master cylinder or the brake booster...any help. Don't want to have to buy both, unless I need to. BTW all wheel cylinders are in good shape (not leaking) Aloha to all

Reply to
wayne

My bet is the master cylinder, and quite likely the bleeding of the brakes caused the damage. If you bleed the brakes by pumping the pedal, you can easily push the pedal far enough down that the piston moves into sections of the master cylinder where it has never been before. Here it will meet up with 14 years of accumulated crud that damages the seals, and you end up with a master cylinder that does not hold pressure.

If you decide to replace it yourself, be sure to use a proper flare nut wrench when you disconnect the brake lines from the cylinder. The fittings are quite soft, and you *WILL* damage at least some of them if you use a regular wrench.

Your problem is almost certa>

Reply to
Randolph