Beetle 1302 compression

I'm thinking of buying a 1972 beetle. It has good compression on one side, bt the cyls on the other side are very low, and the engine is down on power.

Does this sound like an expensive thing to fix?

Chris

Reply to
ChrisReiki

Might be an expense. First step would be to adjust valves. If still low, new heads for sure. Engine has to come out.

Chris, are you in the UK? If so, post to this group: uk.rec.cars.vw.aircooled

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Around £60-70 new....tenner secondhand

Neil

Reply to
Neil

Unfortunatly the 1300 was a one-year-only engine in the US Market. It was stock in the '66 Type I. The next year the Bug had the 1500 engine which had been in transporters. The 1300 is, by far, my favorite AVCW engine. And if you install the off-set oil cooler and dog house cooling system, you will have the most reliable ACVW engine on the road.

As for the low compression. As suggeted, adjust the valves. No change in compression? Squirt some motor oil into the cylinders and try again. If the compression goes up, your rings (and probably the entire low-end) need attention.

Reply to
Jerry Johnson