Beetle, eBay around the world

Just had some fun surfing eBay in Germany, Netherlands, Italy and Canada (yep, all different). Funny how Beetles aren't particularly easy to find over there.

But y'all want to get big bucks for your late model? Canada maybe?

Oy! Maybe it's got something to do with the season?

Reply to
jjs

I didn't write that. Nope. Uh uh. Nada. (Exchange rate is 76 cents to the dollar) I was on the Eurodollar too long today. :)

Reply to
jjs

Isn't this the same car?

Pete Cressman

I noticed the same too. I've been looking for a semi-automatic '71 or '72 Super Beetle for quite a while, but with little luck (Atlantic Canada...)

Bruno Hache

Reply to
Bruno Haché

Yep! $7000us? That guy is friggin crazy, eh? (That's not you, is it?)

Reply to
jjs

Good auto-sticks are hard to come by anywhere. If you don't need an auto-stick, we can do a whole lot better.

Are there any special restrictions that keep a Canadian from buying a Bug in the US and then just driving it home?

Reply to
jjs

AFAIK, Canada isn't as slap happy when it comes to importing a vehicle...I think that the border is VERY lax in this department. I tried to import a Final Edition Mexi Beetle, and was told it could be done without issue, but I wasn't able to get to Mexico to actually fork over the $$$ for the car.

- Pete

Reply to
Pete Cressman

I wish that was my car to be crazy with!

LOL,

Pete

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that the car had to be

Haché"

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Good luck to him getting $1100 for that 67 with no fenders. I could not even get $2000 on ebay for one with a rebuilt engine, no dents, and all the original body parts uncut and intact. Bill Berckman Ramva 24 hour VW Chat New Years Eve.

VW/Porsche Family Reunion Show 2003 Pictures

Bill Berckman

In the Netherlands, ebay ain't very populair. There is another "market" site, there are lots of beetle for sale. Follow this link:

or the tiny-version:

Oh, a beetle is called "kever" over here.

Greetings, Gerrelt

Reply to
beetle boy

It depends where in the world you are... An $1100 '67 would be snapped up in a couple of minutes over here!

It's all relative though. Take Mini's for example: It's not uncommon to see a mid '70s Austin Mini freshly imported from England and still on UK plates, on America eBay for $8000+. Same car in the UK would struggle to reach $1000.... :-P

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini De-Luxe 1964 Austin Mini Super De-Luxe
Howard Rose

Driving maybe but not trailering/towing. I bought two of my Beetles albeit older ones ('60 & '62) in the U.S. and I only had to pay 7% G.S.T. (then another 7.5% P.S.T. when registering). These were both trailered but to drive them I would've needed American tags/insurance which would've taken me to the border then some form of temp. tags to get them to an inspection facility. All cars entering B.C. need full inspections before being able to insure or register them, I think most (all?) provinces are similar. As far as import duties and restrictions there were none that I had to deal with. As Ben says later on in this thread the reason importing was so easy might have been the age of the car(s).

Reply to
B.C. Bugger

Really? I want a mini-cooper. With shipping and even a commission it might be worth getting it from England.

When I lived in England and driving down the Queen's Highway in the Spitfire as fast as I thought prudent and was passed, invariably it was by a Mini-Cooper with a megaphone. :) Great memory.

Reply to
jjs

So, you can import a Mexican Beetle to Canada? I like what I'm hearing... I guess luck for an auto-stick isn't going my way at all....

Bruno Hache

Reply to
Bruno Haché