Beetle, eBay around the world

Just had some fun surfing eBay in Germany, Netherlands, Italy and Canada (yep, all different). Funny how Beetles aren't particularly easy to find
over there.
But y'all want to get big bucks for your late model? Canada maybe? http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item $49038911&category 30
Oy! Maybe it's got something to do with the season?
snipped-for-privacy@xyzzy.stafford.net (jjs) wrote:

I didn't write that. Nope. Uh uh. Nada. (Exchange rate is 76 cents to the dollar) I was on the Eurodollar too long today. :)
Isn't this the same car?
http://www.marksbugbarn.com/1975std.html
(jjs) wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item $49038911&category 30

Yep! $7000us? That guy is friggin crazy, eh? (That's not you, is it?)
I wish that was my car to be crazy with!
LOL,
Pete

Peter Cressman wrote:

Good luck to him getting $1100 for that 67 with no fenders. I could not even get $2000 on ebay for one with a rebuilt engine, no dents, and all the original body parts uncut and intact. Bill Berckman Ramva 24 hour VW Chat New Years Eve. http://www.geocities.com/billberckman/ramvachat.html Cincinnati VW/Porsche Family Reunion Show 2003 Pictures http://community.webshots.com/album/91342080bjsyXI
On 27 Dec 2003 07:33:19 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comSPAMOUT (Bill Berckman) wrote:

It depends where in the world you are... An $1100 '67 would be snapped up in a couple of minutes over here!
It's all relative though. Take Mini's for example: It's not uncommon to see a mid '70s Austin Mini freshly imported from England and still on UK plates, on America eBay for $8000+. Same car in the UK would struggle to reach $1000.... :-P
-- Howard Rose 1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini De-Luxe 1964 Austin Mini Super De-Luxe www.howard81.co.uk <- Website and email is here!

Really? I want a mini-cooper. With shipping and even a commission it might be worth getting it from England.
When I lived in England and driving down the Queen's Highway in the Spitfire as fast as I thought prudent and was passed, invariably it was by a Mini-Cooper with a megaphone. :) Great memory.
I noticed the same too. I've been looking for a semi-automatic '71 or '72 Super Beetle for quite a while, but with little luck (Atlantic Canada...)
Bruno Hache

Good auto-sticks are hard to come by anywhere. If you don't need an auto-stick, we can do a whole lot better.
Are there any special restrictions that keep a Canadian from buying a Bug in the US and then just driving it home?
AFAIK, Canada isn't as slap happy when it comes to importing a vehicle...I think that the border is VERY lax in this department. I tried to import a Final Edition Mexi Beetle, and was told it could be done without issue, but I wasn't able to get to Mexico to actually fork over the $$$ for the car.
- Pete
wrote:

'72
Canada...)
Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that the car had to be 15 years old to be exempt under Canadian law. Here's a website that shows how to import cars (albeit Citroens) into Canada. http://www.ottawacitroenclub.ca/howto.html
wrote:

Bug
So, you can import a Mexican Beetle to Canada? I like what I'm hearing... I guess luck for an auto-stick isn't going my way at all....
Bruno Hache
Driving maybe but not trailering/towing. I bought two of my Beetles albeit older ones ('60 & '62) in the U.S. and I only had to pay 7% G.S.T. (then another 7.5% P.S.T. when registering). These were both trailered but to drive them I would've needed American tags/insurance which would've taken me to the border then some form of temp. tags to get them to an inspection facility. All cars entering B.C. need full inspections before being able to insure or register them, I think most (all?) provinces are similar. As far as import duties and restrictions there were none that I had to deal with. As Ben says later on in this thread the reason importing was so easy might have been the age of the car(s).

'72
Canada...)
In the Netherlands, ebay ain't very populair. There is another "market" site, there are lots of beetle for sale. Follow this link:
http://www.marktplaats.nl/nieuw_zoek.php3?q=kever&g=4&u=&pv=&t=a&sP&b=1&d=1&submit1=Zoek&m or the tiny-version:
http://tinyurl.com/369ht
Oh, a beetle is called "kever" over here.
Greetings, Gerrelt