Belt throwing problem fixed

Don't know if anyone is interested but I thought I'd share anyway :)

I did already receive stronger Gates belts from Aircooled.net, but just in case, I fabricated an extra idler pulley for the std V-belt. This is something you usually only see with the serpentine belt kits. Different type of idler pulley.

MIne does not apply constant pressure on the belt, so it is not acting as an automatic tensioner. I made it to ride the belt only very lightly, when the engine is running you can stop the idler pulley from turning with your hand. I don't think a V belt is designed to have anything pressing on it's backside.

But if the damn thing now tries to stretch again and the loose part ends up on teh left side as it always does, it now has nowhere to go. The idler pulley keeps it where it belongs and eliminates belt vibration and pretty much completely prevents belts from flying off. It would have to break.

I've been VERY happy with the results so far.

The idler pulley I made from a new alternator bearing, and two crank oil slinger discs. The bracket I made from scrap iron. :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Oh yea, if you experience this same problem, be aware that 99% of the cases it's a result of mis-aligned pulleys. Fix that, instead. I did and I still kept throwing belts because they stretched too much when revving the engine up. The alternator shaft is hooked up to the massive air brake at the other end... i.e. the cooling fan. Takes a lot of power to get that thing moving.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Jan Andersson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

I like that. More of a guide than an idler pulley. I need to invent something for the Subey. All the pull from the crank pulley is in one direction - almost straight up - and the pulley itself starts to rock on the shaft until it sets a new position which is wery wobbly! I'm thinking of using the area of the pulley where the "other" belt rode (the one I'm not using) and making a tensioning device to pull downward. That should be a sight hanging down - from behind the bus.

Reply to
Busahaulic