Brake Bleeding Kits

I had a simple 1-man brake bleeder for many years. It crapped out on me. I had to find a way to bleed my brakes without help. I finally hooked a strap on the underside of the brake pedal arm, looped it under the smooth jack handle, and was able to pull the strap to apply pressure and also work the bleeded screw.

Meanwhile, I tried several kits and have them posted at

for all to see. My first try was the LISLE #19200 which is a bleeder reservoir tank that you bleed your brakes into. It has some neat adapters for various bleeder screws. As I use an old milk jug to collect the spent juice, I had no need for the reservoir, but I bought it because I assumed it had a check valve in it. It does not. The vent tube on the cap is labelled "PUMP" however, so I tried using my hand vacuum pump on there. All the fittings are loose enough to suck air, so there was a steady stream of foam in the hose.

My next try was a POWERBUILT #648400 which has a checkvalve. It also has an adapter to the bleeder screw that simply does not work on our small bleeder screws. This new model of the 648400 (I had bought one a few years back) has that adapter easily removable, so all is not lost! The check valve is a really neat little unit that has a check-ball with a spring. The new model has a nipple on the intake end, but threaded female connection on the exhaust end for installing another nipple for an extension hose. Super neat unit, but I could not get it to work. Either the check valve would not allow fluid through the right way, or when it did, it did not check it from returning. I have tried two of these and neither worked. I don't know why. Buy one just because they're really neat. Don't buy one to help you bleed your brakes!

Finally I was able to get to my up-the-street FLAPS and they had a new version of the unit I had used successfully for years. It is a KD Tools kit #2538 and it is the simplest and most effective of all I looked at. It is simply a piece of tubing with a checkvalve that works. It comes with two adapters but I chose to use just the tubing over the end of the bleeder screw. I also added a piece of tubing to the exhaust end of the valve to keep from immersing the valve in the yucky spent fluid in the milk jug.

I paid under $10 for each of these kits. Only the KD was acceptable. I have never used a pressure bleeder but from what I've read in this group, they are really a great way to go. This simplistic check-valve approach works great however and cost under $7.89. Lisle

Powerbuilt
KD Tools
My photo site
Hope I've helped somebody else! -BaH

Reply to
Busahaulic

Neat review. I've needed one of these for years. Sometimes yelling instructions doesn't always work the way you hoped it would! :-) I think I'll look at the KD unit... Happy Father's Day all. Dan

Reply to
bcdlr