Brake Lines

I have a 71 KG and have decided on the bold move of replacing the flexible brake lines.

So far I cannot undo the connections without rounding the nuts that connect the lines the flexible hoses.

Do I just use force (vice grips) and wreck 'em anyway or can they be persuaded?

If I need to make new lines what is the procedure - that flange could be tricky??

Thanks

Reply to
Gavin

Most of the VW parts suppliers sell made to length brake lines. You will still have to bend them to shape (mostly by hand). Jim Schield

Reply to
JSchield

Yes, vise grips work well and if you're careful they need not wreck the nut. It also helps on very difficult ones to heat the outer fitting. (Usual cautions apply...)

If any of the steel lines look the least bit suspicious, replace 'em. Very carefully inspect the main line which runs under the pedal cluster; chances are you will find rust there.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Gavin,.................I know this won't help at this point , on this repair. But Sears Sells a set of Line wrenches that eliminates this problem ,as the wrenches are six sided almost closed box ended...............A hole big enough for a line to go through in the wrenching area...............well worth the 20 or so dollars too.

( beats the price of the Snap-On tools Brand wrenches)

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 17:58:56 GMT, MUADIB® scribbled this interesting note:

(also called a Flare-Nut wrench)

-- John Willis

Reply to
John Willis