Re: Brake light switches -- what's everyone using? (not braz. I hope!)

What kind of brake fluid are you using? I'm using DOT 5 silicone fluid and I found out that the switches get eaten up by it. So now I put a "microswitch" that is activated by pressing the brake pedal.

Reply to
Mel P.

Yep. Another guy did the Microswitch fix on his Bus. Works great. GM (and others?) have used a mechanical switch on the pedal for decades.

Of course, purists will insist that only Hyd switches should be used. Har, har.

Downside to the mechanical switch is you don't get a brake warning light (if anyone ever used that anyway).

Of course, you can always buffer the Hyd switch with a small relay!!

On a more serious note, I *have* found that the old 2-prong switches seem to last a lot longer than the 3-prong. Just omit the wiring for the warning light.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I guess try to find an original NOS one. Mine's working fine after 37 years :-)

-- Howard

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe -
Austin Mini DeLuxe -
Austin Mini Super DeLuxe~~ To email me, go to my website ~~
Reply to
Howard Rose

I'm far from a purist. :-)

I dont think mines really ever worked right anyway

Reply to
BugMan

Mel P.