76 van question

I see a 76 VW van in the paper today.

3 door, 1820 motor, 56K org miles, etc..

Was 76 a good year ?

Randy

RSMEINER

Not for me. I got married in '76. :)

76-79 were the finally refined busses, but the engine size concerns me. I thought the '76 USA models were 2000cc Type-4s. Could it be that this was originally a European model with a T1 engine now modified, or an earlier 1800cc T4 engine mis-specified? In any event, if it is the last of the T4 series, then it's got fuel injection and all that stuff that drives me bad crazy.

If you are going to look at it, then write down the serial numbers and check that year. Or surf for the proper serial numbers now and check on site.

Reply to
J Stafford

Heres the ad thats in the paper.

'76 VW Van, 54K, 3 Dr., manual, well kept black interior,

1820 Pancake w/Holley Carbs, asking $1,599. 402-890-4188

You got married in 76 ? Hell, I have no idea what year I got married. Neither the wife or I are exactly even sure of what the day was. Do know it was May and we were in Vegas. That tell you anything ?

Randy

RSMEINER

They were all good years...some were just better than others.

56K sounds great, but they may have been hard miles....check it out.

-=weasel=-

Reply to
Weasel

It should be the first 2 liter fuel injected engine; I'd say that 78-79 are best as the hydraulic valves don't need adjustment every 3000 miles,

76-77 are second best as they have 2 liter FI, and 75 is third in line as those buses at least had fuel injection with a 1.8 liter engine. I think the Type 4 1800 engine is normally 1793 actual displacement. I suppose it's really a Type 4 engine because it says "Pancake," but I've more often heard and read that term used to refer to Type 3s. I've heard of buses getting engines transplanted from Type 3s. I'm far from an expert in such matters, but it looks as though a previous owner has swapped in an engine from some other VW and swapped out the FI. So: you're better off with an unmodified 2 liter Type 4 engine and original fuel injection but if it's really a low mileage Type 4 engine and it runs well, even that bus with after market carbs should be a pretty solid driver. A sad fact that I've personally experienced is that many air-cooled VW mechanics don't understand the fuel injection systems and rip them out to replace them with inferior carb systems - as the saying goes, people fear what they don't understand.

I suggest that you need to get details and you need to see how it drives.

Reply to
mez