Brakes ???

Who has an opinion? Brakes work -okay- (late model bay bus.) Hot weather > brake pedal gets hard and very little freeplay. What d'ya think?

- Dave

Reply to
Busahaulic

Air in the system - heat makes the air "harder" - hahaha.

It's probably in the wheel cylinders if the heat from braking gets to it quickly.

Maybe and/or some water in there. Works okay when cold, but turns to steam with the heat, and can really super-pressurize things.

Bleed'em good when cold. If you see any water droplets in the bleed jar/bottle, flush system and replace all the fluid.

Reply to
Oldbie

Mine gets hard with very little foreplay too. Har har.

What if the M/C pushrod doesn't have any play and the return port isn't quite uncovered (opened). Pressure will build in the lines as fluid expands from the temp. Normally that expansion will go to the reservoir, but now it can't.

Does this Bus have servo booster?

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

He said "freeplay", not foreplay. Too much sex makes ya deaf.

Reply to
Oldbie

What? What? Huh?

Sneaks

Reply to
Sneaks

Reply to
GaryT

That "could" just mean . . . "enough" sex ???

For example, I hear okay, and I'm NOT sorry about the other part(s).

Of course, I just married a 24-year-old Fillipina - hahahahaha.

Oh - on topic - she loves my bus (too), and helps me bleed the brakes. She can really pump that pedal. (I didn't make that up - it's true!).

===========================

"GaryT" wrote:

Reply to
Oldbie

bus.)

Reply to
Busahaulic

My guess is that your brake pedal actually has NO freeplay and that the play you refer to is just the hydraulically actuated free motion in the pads and shoes.

The pedal should move SOME amount before the pushrod actually contacts anything in the master cylinder. You should be able to move the pedal by hand and actually feel when it runs into that point. If you can't feel any free play, then you should adjust the pedal so that you have some. See your manual for the exact details.

Another possibility is that the pedal isn't returning all the way. This amounts to the same thing as no free play, but you have to free up the rust, or whatever, that is causing the pedal to hang up. IOW, the pedal has move freely for the free play to be effective.

-

Jim Adney

Well, it seemed to have "marginally" enough freeplay, so I pulled the rod off the pedal arm and gave it 2 turns, hooked it back up. I adjusted the brakes also. It seems to be better. I long suspected that it was marginal in the freeplay department. We shall see over the next few days... Got new MC, Calipers, front hoses, etc. to put on one of these days.

- Dave

bus.)

and that

free motion