Brakes Replacement

I know that the next big project for my 73 beetle is the brakes. I'm always stopping, but I'm sure it could be a lot quieter. I notice most screeching (now and then) from the front right. So that's where I want to start, the front.

I took off the wheels today and was able to look at only the LH side (didn't have enough room to really get to the RH). I felt the drum and seemed pretty smooth (to me) and the shoes look pretty low (again, to me). I've looked over this Group and found that I should things in pairs (LH and RH). But my question is, should I just replace all shoes? Or should I replace drums with shoes? I've also had a good look at the backing plate and RH looks really bunged up on the back side. Also, no dust plugs.

I haven't looked at the rear brakes yet at all. I'm sure I'll need to do some replacing there too. Just trying to get things done bit by bit.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
hosifer

Go to:

on the Brakes section. Do a lot of reading (better get a manual to go along with it) to see what tools and skills you'll need.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Yes do one whole axle at a time. Never just one side.

Drums wear out too, just slower than shoes. With drums that are worn too far, even new shoes won't achieve optimal braking power. It's like installing oversize drums but standard size shoes. Only a short section of the shoe touches the drum. That said, if money is tight you can wait a while before replacing the drums. New shoes will work better than old, naturally. But they do wear into the shape of the old drum soon, and if'n'when you get new drums, the shoes will again need to wear in to match the correct diameter. Expect to need to adjust the shoes more often than normal until they settle.

Backing plates are less critical, you can wait with those if you don't have the time or money to do them now.

Before taking anything apart, take a picture or draw things on paper to see how the parts go back together. Especially in the rear where there's more junk in there.

Reply to
Jan Andersson