Brakes revisited 70 Beetle

I have new wheel cylinders, brake hoses, shoes, master cylinder, blue brake hose from reservoir. I need to have my brake pedal adjusted with some push rod pressure applied to piston in master cylinder to achieve a front brake pressure. They feel absolutely great, however doing so creates some constant pressure to rears, and they'll drag slightly and my brakes lites flicker on occasionally. If I back the pedal off to relieve the pressure, I immediately lose any front braking action. I initially replaced the master cylinder, thinking that has to be the problem, but got the same results. I still think with my symptoms, it has to be the master cylinder. I guess I could have gotten a bad replacement? Any similar problems or thoughts? Thanks again for a reply

70 VW Beetle
Reply to
JeffRens

It seems that the front circuit has trapped air. If you properly bled the front brake cylinders, try to bleed the MC by untightening the front circuit brake line fitings on the MC and without removing them completelly, let some fluid to leak while someone pumps the brake pedal several times. Then retighten and bleed the front brakes again. Check the brake fluid level in the reservoir regularly while bleeding.

Bill, '67 bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

I had a similar problem, turned out AutoZone gave me the wrong wheel cylinders for the front.

Dave

Reply to
David

Hiya Jeff,

Glad to hear you're making some progress with your brakes. Did you get the dash brake light unit I sent?

Mike

Reply to
Bookwus1

The pedal push rod should never be adjusted to hit the MC piston all the time. There MUST be ~1mm of free play there.

If setting it up like this doesn't work, you have other problem. Yes, it could be air in the front circuit, or just not having the fronts adjusted right.

Put the pedal/pushrod back the way it was.

Find and fix the problem.

-

Jim Adney