Brakes - silly me

Replaced the master cylinder. And came up with a cute trick for doing it alone - ya know, can't hold the cylinder in place while inside the cab (and didn't want to attach the lines before doing so).

Anywho, silly me but the blue hose pieces that bridge between the steel tubes on the fluid supply side - when power bleeding they, ah well, bleed! I only use 11 pounds pressure. These are brand new blue brake feed hose (from John C, the good stuff) over cleaned tubing.

So, would you 'glue' them in place somehow with something like green Locktite? Or (aw no) tiny hose clamps?

I swear, I'm losin it. Old age or sumthin.

To the chap I indoctrinated with a flame. This is on a '72 Standard. Welcome to RAMVA! I think we have a door prize for you somewhere.

Reply to
John Boy

no clamps, no locktite, just put them on with maybe a little brake fluid as lube. reduce the bleeder pressure if you like.

Yeah that is a fun task and usually install one line to kinda hold that master in place while trying to install it's bolts. Or you could install a thick solid wire with a washer on one end and push it through the master bolt hole through the body so you could pull it with your hand. Then I install all lines loosely before I tighten down the bolts. Tighten down the bolts but don't tighten down the lines all of the way, just most of the way. Adjust master pushrod. Power bleeder on and watch the lines bubble out the air catching fluid in a pan. Then tighten down the lines when the fluid shows no bubbles. Then on to the wheel cylinders.....RR...LR....RF....LF Check pedal and then test drive. Readjust brake shoes and check for any leaks. STOP...you're done! lol

Did I miss anything? Have fun!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

John....too much pressure....5psi or less please...that line is only used to seeing head pressure...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Hey, I'm pretty sure I remember you. Got a door prize for me? :-)

Reply to
Shag

You would be better off finding someone to help you. I have installed one by myself before, its no fun. With help its very quick and painless.

I think if your going to do it your self the best answer would be to remove the body....;o)

Mario Vintage Werks resto

Reply to
Kafertoys

Duh! That's easier than my approach! I had two studs, screwed 'em into the MC and put it in place. Crawled inside and held the left one in place with a vice-grip tight to the wall. Removed the other stud (finger tight) and installed the bolt tight, then removed the other, installed the other bolt loosely, then loosed up the other.

Wire. Washer. I'm slappin my head duh!

Thanks for that.

Reply to
John Boy

I normally use 11 pounds for power bleeding. I had no idea 5 pounds would do it, but it makes sense! Fluid does not compress. I really must be losing my mind. Maybe I never had it. :(

Again, thank you!

Reply to
John Boy

I do indeed. Just as soon as we can download beer, I've one for you.

Reply to
John Boy

Hey, the cylinder is on. That part was no sweat. It is a tight fit. I'm paying for all the good genes and athletics - big arms hardly fit in there. BWAAA HAAAA HAAA. I crack me up.

Reply to
John Boy

. I really must

john, you haven't lost it totally...just if you don't exercise it, it dulls over time...heheheheheh

Reply to
Joey Tribiani