Brass fitting at end of starter drive pinion

After I installed a replacement 12v starter I found a small brass fitting in the box, and decided it must have come off the end of the drive pinion. Damn. I also noticed that the starter I removed did not have this part.

So can someone advise me as to how important is this fitting? Should I pull the starter and install the part?

Thanks.

Reply to
Fly Steerage

This is the bushing for the starter motor nose. It is installed into the trans housing. You may be luck. If the original bushing is OK, all will be fine. But you really should have pulled the old one and installed the new one ou received. If the starter turns slow (sounds like a dead battery), you can assume that the old bushing is defective and you will need to take the starter out again.

Jim SR Racing

Reply to
Jim