Cam and Idle

Hi All

Just a quick question. Will a cam with a duration of around 276 degrees cause the engine to idle slightly rougher than normal?

Many Thanks Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Not so that it would matter, you probably won't notice the difference.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Thanks

I'm getting an engine tomorrow with a cam with this duration (not sure the make) apparently it's the same grind as what's in the Mini Cooper S, with regards to duration and possibly lift. I'll probe more out of the guy when I see the engine tomorrow! I think it might be similar to a Engel W110, any ideas?

Many thanks aga> > Hi All

Reply to
Kevin
286 duration (engle 110, SCAT C-35, etc ) will idle like s**te with the stock centermounted carb.

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

It's milder than the popular Engle 110. Those are in the 286 region. Yours should offer great driveability, clearly increased torque and a noticeable improvement in acceleration, all well within normal RPM range. (It still won't be a high rpm screamer, don't rev it past 5000 - 5500 because there's no more power to be found up there)

Jan

Reply to
Jan

He said 276. And I disagree, been there, done that ;) I agree though that the stock carb is still a poor choice. At the very least, get Kadrons.

Needs higher CR than stock. With the 110, I'd go for 8:1 or 8.5:1 depending on quality and octane of gasoline available.

Jan

John C>

Reply to
Jan

Thanks for all the advice!

You and the group as always have been a great help! Got the shiny new engine today tomorrow we have another bug on the road!!

You would hate to know the carb I'm running at the moment: A Solex 30pict2 off my original 1300sp engine! It's mightily small for this engine and cam had to richen up the idling jet, according to the rebuilder. But I'm going to keep it for the run in period and when the engine worn in nicely I'll find a Weber or import a Kadron but it's very expensive for us to import over here!!

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

yes, and if he doesn't have 286 degrees or more the idle won't be a problem. :-p

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly