carb, its time 34 pict 3

ok, I've got by with old leaky ebay special garage sale german originals for too long, but now its time to upgrade to "brand new". What is everybodies experience with the ones available? Are they chinese junk, or what? Please leave your experiences...

Reply to
Cletus

Beware on buying new. Make sure you can hold the carburetor in your hand first and check it for defects.

When you say "old, leaky german original" are you talking about air leaks around the throttle shaft? That can be fixed. And for the modest amount of money it takes to have the repair done, the quality of the OE german units is above and beyond anything you will find 'new' today.

CIP1 has an 'Empi' carburetor for $159 and it has the alternator style linkage. If this is the same chinese carburetor I installed a few months ago, I can tell you with my experience on one unit that it performs fine and looks fine from a quality perspective. I don't have any data on longevity since the thing has only been on the car for about 2 months(not my car, BTW). The one I installed was purchased at BAP Import parts in Mesa, AZ. It was in a plain white box, no documentation and no markings to indicate who made it.

CIP1 also has a "top quality' 34pict-3 for $179 but that one looks suspiciously like the pierburg carburetor, and you should avoid those like the plague. I encountered ill-fitting throttle shafts and raw fuel leaks from the main fuel horn on a hot shutdown on both units. To their credit, CIP1 did give me a refund on the 2 pierburgs they sent me but it took some phone calls to make it happen.

CIP1 also has a brosol with the generator linkage for $229, but I've looked at those in the past and the one I handled was so poorly finished I refused to buy it. None of the casting flash had been removed from the outside, which makes me wonder just how bad it looks inside.

Basically, you can send your casting to the riddle machine company in california(ask.com it if you need the address...) to have the throttle shaft bushings replaced on your original carb, which is what I would suggest doing. Or you can take your chances with a 'new' one.

Good luck with it.

Chris

Reply to
halatos