changing gear oil

Hi All,

Anyone know what size of tool is needed to loosen the fill-nut/-cap on a

1302 gearbox? I don't know the english name for the tool (dutch is: Imbus)

TIA Roger

Reply to
bug '59

17mm

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I believe the term you are looking for is "Allen Wrench".

Reply to
Red Bug

Shag

Or - I think - some people call them a Hex Key.

Rich

Red Bug wrote:

Reply to
tricky

Oh yeah ...

You can double nut a 17mm bolt and use that :-)

Rich

tricky wrote:

Reply to
tricky

Hey, I like that idea! Slick! Cheap! (like me)

Reply to
Shag

Yep. I bought one and I never used it to avoid turning my garage into a mess. A professional guy changed the oil for 5 euros.

Joao

Joao Eliseu

Roger,

Bob Hoover recommends removing the fill plug before loosening the drain plugs, just to make sure you will be able to refill the gearbox. Good advice, I say.

Al Adams

Reply to
Al Adams

I ended up triple nutting, but it was still stuck solid, no access to welder to make the nutst more secure (!!), so ended up buying the thing. Got loveley warm gear oil down my arm. Nice. James

Reply to
Juper Wort

Like Jan once siad - once you have a welder, you feel you can achieve anything !

Soooo true :-)

Rich

Juper Wort wrote:

Reply to
tricky

Hey great ideas all,

...using a double nut 17mm, loosen the fill plug first.... That's what i call usefull advise. The term allen wrench came across this NG many times but i never knew what it was.... until now (altavista could not cover that one)

Thanks all!

Roger

Reply to
bug '59

It's talked about on this site:

Hey, it's even a VW site... and he's actually talking about the drain and fill plugs on the tranny... How appropriate!

Time to drop altavista (total crap) for Google if you actually want to find anything!

Reply to
Red Bug

Next time - dont be shy - just ask !

I did when I wanted to know what a redneck was :-)

nobody minds. Thats what we do on ramva isnt it ?

Rich .

Reply to
tricky

Reply to
tricky

For this NG i use Outlook Express to visit, i use google indeed... to search i used this link to translate.

But the translation is a total crap too...

Thanx for all the help Roger

Reply to
bug '59