child/baby seat in '72 Super...

My two daughters love my beetle, but they never get to ride in it. I have to get some seatbelts for the back seat, and it seems the only way to put a child/baby car seat in is SIDEWAYS...any ideas on what length of belt is needed etc. so I can take them on short rides? THANKS (as always) :+) snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

Reply to
pmbedard

"pmbedard" wrote

I believe all '72 Beetles should've had rear seatbelts. Both my '72 driver and my '72 parts car both have rear belts. I guess maybe yours disappeared over the years? Anyway, I don't know the length but many ACVW vendors probably sell the belts.

Did a quick check ...

?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=303 Tried to look at Aircooled.net and Motorworks.com but they both appear to be down at the moment. :-/

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H

Have you checked under the seats for the belts... mine always fall underneath... no one rides in the back though so i just leave them there

Reply to
VWGirl

Paul

The stock seatbelts are long enough to secure a car seat, just barely though. You have to turn the seat sideways to feed the belt and do some contortions to get it forward facing again without losing the belt. If you can find some aftermarket belts that are a little longer you'll have a much easier time.

Joe Fugazzi

Reply to
Joe Fugazzi

.......................The '77 sedan that I drove more than 14 years ago had factory installed lap belts in the back that were plenty long enough for a child seat. Our youngest kid loved riding in that car and now that he's almost ready to get his permit this coming summer, he's scheming to persuade me into letting him drive my '77 (not the same one). It's a little scary letting your kid start out driving in a small car that isn't very safe by modern standards. Side impact protection is especially bad in a bug.

Reply to
Tim Rogers